Sunday, July 6, 2008

Bangkok Silliness

Hello everyone, I made it safely to Bangkok after a nearly day long transit. I am sleep deprived, sweaty, and mildly hungover from those buckets of thai whisky (by the way, the stuff has red bull, coca cola, and like, 500000000 milligrams of amphetamines).
It's pretty easy to meet people if you don't mind talking travel plans and air tickets and how hot it is outside.
Unreal.
That's what gets me, Bangkok feels like a huge outdoor shopping mall, but with way cooler stuff and pushier sales clerks. You can't sit on an outdoor patio without the same 14 people pushing the same junk on you: musical frogs, plastic butterflies that kids would break in a second, silver-beaded necklaces, etc.
There is this one little girl who was selling individual red roses for 20 or 40 baht, she somehow managed to insult my friends' clothing and intellect with her savvy street smarts, kick my butt at a thumb war, and win my heart and my money. Seriously, this little girl was riding the I'm-totally-dope train.
At something like 4 or 5 am, a few of my friends were finishing up their buckets and their cheap Marlboro cigarettes, and there was the same little girl selling those roses. She didn't respond when I said it was late and she should go to bed. It hit me that this was her job, she had to get rid of those roses before she could go home.
Cue my heart breaking into tiny pieces.
I have not seen any kids besides farang (foreigner) children and the working mass of kids selling shit.
I'm interested to see what the child labour laws are here, if there are any.
I'm not a city girl.
Cities are where the desperate congregate, where people and their things go to try to fill their emptiness with more people and their things.

Yes, you buy happiness here. 120 baht.
No, 100 baht too low. 110.

The world proves itself sillier than I can comprehend. Whoever wrote Life's script clearly hung out with Robin Williams during his cocaine phase.

Anyway, I love you all, I'm safe, and I think our group is headed to Ko Tao tomorrow (it's a little island in the south.)
Take care!

No comments: