Friday, May 30, 2008

What the world needs is more silliness.

The last week has put my heart in a vicegrip and I've come to call that vicegrip 'compassion'. Life is strange, an unbiased card dealer simply performing its function.

'Life happens all around you, it's best not to take it personally.' -Douglas Coupland

I was in POCO returning some books with my friend Eva, when I noticed that it was one of the coolest libraries I've ever been in. Honestly, a whole graphic novel/comic book section complete with acne-encrusted teenagers sticking to the floor like gum. I felt at home here. I also felt so sad knowing that I won't have the time to pillage the Superhero indexes and volumes of yet-unexplored DC fine literature. Silly, I know. Silly because these will be here when I return. Silly because right behind me was Terry Fox's prosthetic leg and torn sock in a glass case. Silly because Terry lived and died so nobly and one night a few months ago, my friend and I stood knock-kneed and stoned, laughing, at his grave. Silly.

I guess the point here, the moral of my story is: We're all human. We're all silly children who get caught up by silly things, we enjoy the shine of tinfoil trinkets and cry when they are taken away. My favourite trinkets happen to be some of the glorious friends I've come to love and have had to part with recently for this trip. So, yeah, I cried like a little kid because I still am one just like everyone else.

We all get born, make silly mistakes, learn, fall in love (often involving way more silly mistakes), work (always a mistake), and all the while, stay busy dying.

Life and death hold hands, go on a couple dates, get knocked up, and produce a ton of little kids to bounce back and forth between the child custody week/weekend thing. General silliness.

As the progeny of life and death, I'm happy we all get the opportunity to bounce back and forth together, all 6 billion of us. I mean, we're brothers and sisterswith totally abusive, divorced parents, so we've got to be a little bit loving, a little bit positive, and a lot of silly to get through it together.

Humanism=Compassion.

No comments: